Wednesday, January 20, 2021

My experiments with diversity in food: Day 3: Punjab

The state of Punjab is one of the northern states in India. It is one of the border states that share a border with Pakistan on the west and hence produces a lot of soldiers for Indian army :). Punjab took its name from the five rivers that once flown in the state, Chenab, Jhelum, Ravi, Sutlej, and Beas. Partition of India in 1947 did not only partition the harmony and peace of India, but it also ripped the soul of Punjab. Chenab and Jhelum flow where they always were but now humans have decided that the province will now be called Punjab, Pakistan.

The earliest human habitation in India is found in Punjab that is dated back to 3300BCE by the name of Indus Valley Civilization. Punjab has always worked or has been exploited as a corridor for invasions in India by different kingdoms and republics. It was once a home for Achaemenid, Alexander's, Seleucid, Mauryas, Guptas, Harshas, Kushan and various others. Punjab is also the birthplace of Sikhism founded in the 1500s and 1600s. 

Punjab has a rich culture of language,  music, poetry, dancing, art and craft, farming, literature, and food. It will not be an exaggeration if I mention that each Punjabi (person belongs to Punjab) thinks that there is nothing better than Punjab. I know it because I am myself married to one :).

The cuisine of Punjab is highly influenced by fresh produce available by agriculture and farming. Wheat is the staple grain of Punjab. Some of the most famous dishes from Punjab are sarson ka saag, makke ki roti, kadhi pakoda, rajma, variety of paranthas and kulchas, maah ki daal, daal makhani, lassi, panjiri, and equally varied varieties of meat.

The dish that is featured today is sarson ka saag. Its a stew and is traditionally made out of mustard greens and lamb's quarter (Bathua), slowly cooked on a wood stove and is best served with makke ki roti (cornmeal flatbreads) for scooping initially and to soak up all the remaining bits from the bowl towards the end, yum! The recipe I used is a hand me down from the years of experiments done by women to make it and amend it using what is available and remnants of traditional cuisine. This is a winter dish, as mustard leaves are grown in winters in India, and therefore we respect that and only make it in winter, although, here in USA mustard leaves are available all around the year.

How I made it: Clean and chop three bunches of mustard leaves (curly mustard leaves), a bunch of spinach, a bunch of turnip greens (this time I used kale, as turnip was not available), and wait for it.....one head of broccoli. Broccoli is a very non-traditional, it even doesn't belong to Punjab, but I use it because as I said my recipe is handed me down from years of experiments, and addition of broccoli was amended to the original recipe here in America by the mother of our friend :).

Boil these clean and cut greens along with an inch of ginger and 4-5 garlic cloves for one hour in 2 cups of water. Why one hour? Because, Mann's mom boiled it for one hour, and this recipe is all but tradition to be followed.

Now comes, the part where I added my bit to this evergrowing and everchanging recipe tradition. Before leaving for work, I blend these boiled greens using a hand blender in its own juices and remaining water along with a 1/2 a cup of cornmeal, salt to taste, and one full stick of butter and let it slow cook for the whole day (8-10 hours) in a slow cooker on the low setting. This slow cooking in the slow cooker was an experiment I did once and was an immediate hit in my family.

When I come back from work, the smell of simmering saag fills my nostrils and my appetite increases many fold. Right before eating dinner, we temper this by sauteeing chopped red onions and a lot of garlic in butter and is added to the saag. This mouth-watering, finger-licking dish takes a whole day of prep but is so worth it. My husband likes to eat radishes on the side as salad and pickled ginger and green chillies.

And here is the picture :)Image may contain: food

No comments:

Post a Comment